Sunday, January 23, 2011

2011 is off to a FANTASTIC start! (said with complete sarcasm)

So I can only stalk my favorite runner blogs so many times in a matter of a couple minutes hoping they will post a new post and give me something to read at 2 o'clock in the morning but I'm pretty sure they are all either catching some major zzzzzz's after running 50+ miles in a week or out on the town living it up cause they are loving life, living healthy and have no kids! I have read so many blogs who are getting right after their new year with all these great goals and give so much inspiration and here I am only 23 days into it and already wishing for 2012 to be here. Okay so maybe not wishing for eleven inexperienced months to flash by my life as if life does not already go by too fast, but I am definitely wanting a re-do of 2011!
So far 3 trips have been made to the insta care and 1 visit to the ER and a set of tubes went in Cruzers ears! My kids think its awesome to get sick on the weekends and after hours. They love making mom and dad spend that extra fifteen dollars for the co-pay. Which I am so grateful for insurance but so scared of them at the same time! I swear they are going to call my house and tell us to take a hike and that we are CRAZY and need to calm down. Especially after all my surgeries 2010: (c-section, varicose vein stripping in both legs, bladder sling, and massive stomach hernia). And with me it doesn't stop their either.....I have had a cyst on the back of my middle finger for a good 6 months and a cyst I have already had sucked out 6 years ago behind my knee has came back. It grows bigger each day and is slowly becoming a hinder just to walk. These are just little things and Monday they will hopefully be removed by a family doctor. (please please don't send me to some specialist to get them out!)
Cruz got his first case of ear infections in November. We would get him on an anti-biotic and off and within a week or so he would get another infection. We just kept repeating this cycle over and over. In the meantime Bostyn got an ear infection too. I think she just wanted to join in on all the fun. In January Cruz got sick on a Monday with a high fever/ear infection and the fever lasted until Saturday. This is when the ER visit happened. His temp. just kept climbing one night at 4 o'clock in the morning and being first time parent with this type of experience we panicked when it reached 104.8 and Gabe took him to the ER. Which eventually a 104 temp. became no big deal to us cause later that week his temp. would get up to the 107's. When we could get his temp. to come down to 104's we were like......"YES!!!!" (good thing the ER didn't charge us for an emergency visit when it only turned out to be an ear infection.) The poor kid was miserable! And so were Gabe and I. I think we survived off of 10 hours of sleep for the entire week. That week we were giving Cruz medicine every 3 hours for 6 straight days to keep his temp. down. I was so nervous that he was taking to much medicine! He was steaming hot. Hot like the time my best friend and I turned off the AC in her car when we got close to Vegas cause her car was reading 117 degrees outside. We said we would turn it back on when one of us formed a bead of sweat on our face. Seriously within like three minutes I was dripping and not just from our face. I think I peed from laughing so hard. Then we decided when we got there to see if we could fry an egg on the pavement but it didn't work, hahaha....sorry that was all off the subject.
Finally we got the referral to see an Ear, Nose, Throat doctor who without hesitation when she looked in his ears said for sure he needs tubes especially when he just ended his 3rd antibiotic the previous day and there was still puss and fluid. So the poor little guy went in on Thursday morning at 6:30 AM and we were done and home by 8:00 AM gave Cruz a bottle he went to sleep and woke up at his regular 9-9:30 time like nothing ever happened. He probably just thought that was the weirdest dream he has had yet. He is happy as can be now and its only been 2 days since the surgery but you can tell he is relieved!
Soooooo, I'm not done. The day after Cruz get his tubes in Bostyn decides to fever!! Holy hell I wanted to jump off a cliff! So day two of fevering I check in her throat and she is swollen as can be and has what looks like two giant cauliflowers are just chilling in the back of her throat. And yes of course this happens on a weekend after hours and the insta care is just so much closer than our pediatrician in AF so off we go to checked for strep. She got swabbed by the nurse and while the test was being done the doctor came in to feel her neck and look in her throat and from his reaction and words it was a no brainer, strep for sure. He looked in her mouth not even 2 seconds and said yep she is just full of it. And saying she was full of it in other meanings cause she had us all about in tears cause she is hilarious. By the time we left I think every nurse and Dr. came in to meet her and wanted to take her home. Well the strep test result came back NEGATIVE!! Even the doctor was shocked. So we just have to kind of roll with this and do our best to get her better. My goal for her tomorrow is to get her to eat. I have to write down what she said tonight so I will always remember and hopefully will have my blog made into a book one day.....the nurse swabs Bostyn's throat and she gags and says....."oh sorry Dr. I just gagged! I don't like to gag, but perhaps someday!" We all died laughing and this was after everything else she said in the meantime. She invited everyone in the back to Disneyland when she was getting weighed and how she is 40" to ride on the creepy ride at Disneyland(Tower of Terror), and how the monkey's have left her ears and are now in her throat and to watch out for the blood cause her throat is bleeding and how she just misses everyone so much and told me, "mom, I just love you" about 50 times. And how I was so kind and jealous to take her to the doctor. Yep, I am jealous??? She is funniest kid I have ever met! I think she knew what she was doing at that visit cause the whole way there she was crying about going and how she doesn't want a shot. As soon as we walked in the door her act changed and she was yelling, "woo hoo I love this place!" I know she was just trying to side track the nurses and doctors and was hoping they would forget to give her a shot.
Wow! Its getting late now. But I don't really want to fall asleep cause I am pretty sure just as I get to sleep I'll get woke up by Bostyn crying for mom. She has been struggling to sleep well these last couple nights. This is how this whole post started in the first place. I got woke up and couldn't fall back to sleep. So as I was laying there and I got thinking about how this year has started off......
I had these big goals among some others to eat healthy and get back on track after letting myself go over the holidays and get ready for my first half marathon and ragnar relay race. But the stress these kiddos have put on me has only been manageable by chips and smart cookies! Even one night during Cruz's misery week I came home from pump class after literally sweating my butt off to an unhappy/miserable Cruz and this was going on day 4 of his crazy fevers and Gabe had me talked into going and getting us Taco Bell instead of drinking my shake!!!! AAAHHHHH! I was hands in the air of what to do with Cruz so I would just eat. Well, we now have Cruz under control and now Bostyn is taking her turn but she will get through this cause she is a tough little girl! I mean she plays "True Grit" with the boys and gets to be Mattie Ross and she is tough! Ha Ha, that movie is great by the way if you have not seen it.
So now having said all of that I am going to give my new year a go on Monday January 24th! I'll get this cyst off the back of my knee Monday morning and I'll be ready to kick butt in pump that night, hopefully! That gives me tomorrow to eat the last of my smart cookies (thanks a lot Shannon....;) ) And at this point all I am aiming for this year is good health for everyone!

6 comments:

*WEST* said...

hahaha Thanks a lot Shannon?? You were on your way to my house to get me to go get them!!
You have had a rough start! I think we all need a vacation.FOR REAL!!
You are such a fabulous mom. Yor kids are beyond lucky...
Love you...

cassidy Merrill said...

What half marathon are you doing? I wanna join!?!

HaleyandGabe said...

hey cass- we are running the Moab in March! They had a couple open spots left.....go check it out.

Jenn said...

Wow!! What a nightmare. Im so sorry youve had such a rough start. If it makes you feel better the last 5 years have been a rough start for me ;)
Ive heard your doing amazing so dont give up! I cant wait to run with you guys!! I think I would be in a mental institution if I had kids so I think your kicking butt!
P.s. Blogs are the worst to truely judge how "easy" everyones life seems!! ;)
You guys should come Vacation here!!

Duncahoo said...

You really can't catch a break with the sickness, sorry!
Those freakin smart cookies are going to be the death of us! We should really just think of it as carb loading from now on!

Tabitha said...

Haley you always look good so don't stress too much! I'm sure you will kick butt at your marathon. You're an awesome mom who occasionally can skip a shake for some tacos!

I hope Cruz and Bostyn are both feeling better.