Running to music helps me a lot as well. I should have made a playlist just for my race! But I thought it would give me something to do while I ran to skip a song if I didn't like it. And funny how toward the end of the race when I need the most umph and I'm talking like the last 3 miles when you are basically sprinting your guts out I kept getting Dora's Christmas, When you wish upon a star, One day my prince will come, When will my life begin from Tangled, Whistle while you work, and the freaking letter factory!!! No joke, I was about ready to rip my earphones out! 

An expected 5,000 runners showed up to race. My sister and our two friends Marisa and Sunshine were there to run too. Luckily the weather was 20-30 degrees warmer this year as opposed to last year they say. But we all faced some strong wind for the first half of our race which eventually it died down and to me was perfect running weather. No sun and a perfect temp! This was good for me cause I am a sweater and it was nice not having it drip down my face and in my eyes. The race was in Moab and you got to run right next to the river in the beautiful redrock canyon. I don't think I noticed one rock or ripple of water! I was too busy watching that guy and then watching that guy get out of my sight. I know I have the worst thinking right now and need to knock it off!
So overall I enjoyed being with the girls! We for sure got some pre-race fuel the day before the run.....Subway on the drive down (we started out with healthy in mind), smart cookies, a really yummy pasta dinner at Pasta Jays, and we topped it all off with a Hogi Yogi ice cream. You are supposed to Carbo-load right?! Which I probably should have started sooner than the day before but I had to weigh in on Thursday....at least I was super happy with that number! So I guess I'll just look at this first experience as a learning experience. I did learn that I will never do a full marathon. I would rather run hard for only 13.1 miles and not have to add another 13.1 on top of what we did. I just need to not be so hard on myself. I am tempted though to have someone drive me back down there so I can run it again to show myself I can beat 1:46! and how silly that going into this I wanted to beat 1:45, and I got 1:46. But I just know myself and I know I can get under 1:40 and I will! If my husband and my family let me run in another race cause I am acting as if my dog died! (and to top off my run, I came home to a sink full of dishes for me to clean grrrrrrr!)
RESULTS: My age group was 25-29 year olds. 466 of us total.
**In my class, 339 were females and I crossed the finish as the 21st female.
**There were a total of 2,021 females total in the entire race and I crossed the finish as the 93rd female. I just keep telling myself that at least I finished in the top 100 females out of 2,000+ female runners.
(I will post up some actual pictures of us girls on our trip but Shannon was the one with camera so I need to get the pics from her)......and I did!! Just stole these right off her blog:
Before the race
During the race and finish line



After the race
love these girls!
12 comments:
WOW! You impress me.
Haley, You are crazy! You did amazing and this is just your first! You should be so proud of yourself, we definately are!
You have "LOST" it! you did AMAZING! I know we said that we did not care to ever run one again but guess what I think I will do it again!! SO WILL YOU!!
You Have been acting like your dog died.
It was your first race. You didn't know what to expect and you did awesome. I know you will do even better next race. You have so much determination and so strong willed that you will do anything you set your mind to.
(maybe even a full marathon)
I predict you run one within the next 5 years :) never say never
See you there!
(at the start line at least)
You ROCK! thats so good! way to go Hot stuff
oh look, you got some pictures!!
wish I could post my running ones....if id only known I had to retuck!!! wahhahahahah
Just stopping in... congrats on running a marathon!! wow
Your children are precious! And those photos are stunning :)
I have a lil' girl turning 1 on Tuesday- that year went by way too fast!
Have a great week.
Awesome Haley. It very impressive that you are a runner now. Remember when you would tell us you would run down the street and get tired and come back home! Now you run for hours. Maybe you could teach me how to do it! great job
ha ha yes Crystal!! and in High school I would come in dead last always,...I hated running! and me going for a run back in the day was around my block. It took maybe a whole whopping 8 minutes and I would call it good! I LOVE LOVE RUNNING!!!!!! :)
That is an awesome time! Do not be so hard on yourself. I completely understand wanting a better time. When I started the National Marathon, I was totally aiming for about 10 min faster. However, in the end, I was just so glad to complete it in a decent time, especially in the freezing cold. You did AMAZING. Cannot believe it was your first race. Next race you'll be even faster!
Girl you need to be proud of your results! you are speedy!!!! and reconsider the full- it's a great experience! ;)
Post a Comment